Easily Add Volume to Hair With These Tricks
I always joke that my love for big, voluminous hair comes from the fact that I was born in the 80’s. While the 80’s are way behind us, thankfully big hair is not. It’s still around and better than ever…with no Aqua Net required.
Here are some of my tips for easily achieving more bounce and body in your everyday style.
- Leave conditioner off the roots. This is the perfect way to sabotage your style before you have even started it. Apply a small amount of conditioner to the ends of your hair, gradually working it up the hair shaft, and stopping before reaching the root area. Since that is newer hair, it’s less damaged and therefore does not need the extra conditioning that your ends will.
- Rinse completely. When you think all of the conditioner is rinsed out, rinse one more time. When my clients tell me that conditioner weighs their hair down, I find that it isn’t actually the product itself, its that it’s not being properly washed out, or too much was used to begin with.
- Apply products like you apply conditioner, starting at the ends. Unless of course we’re using a root boost, in which that is specifically for that area. Mousse, creams, or any other products should be applied to your hair shaft first and then worked up into the scalp.
- Blow-dry upside down and in all directions. To add more body to your hair, do not just blow dry in the direction that you style your hair. Directing your hair in opposite directions and blow-drying the root area will add more body and life to your style. The use of a round hair brush is also great for adding lift.
- Cool it down. The key to locking in that volume you achieve while drying? Switch your dryer setting to cool and blast the roots with it. The cool air will set the style and help the bounce last longer. The same rule applies for after you curl your hair. Leave it alone until it’s cool and then style as normal.
What are some of your style tips for adding more volume to your hair? Be sure to share them with me on social media and leave comments below!
http://www.Facebook.com/YouniquebyAmanda (Page name is Beauty with Amanda)
Periscope – @BargainAmanda (Search Amanda Smearman and it should come up)
*The images used are not mine and I take no credit for taking them or doing the hair/makeup.